Hydrotherapy offers a form of rehabilitation and exercise. within a controlled water based environment. AWVP offers hydrotherapy via an underwater treadmill, which enables a dog to use the benefits of water within a secure clinic.
The intended effects of hydrotherapy include:
- Relief from pain,
- Relaxation of muscle tension,
- Increased range of joint motion,
- Increased muscle mass and strength,
- Prevention of secondary complications,
- Improved cardiovascular fitness,
- Decreased inflammation,
- Potentially earlier return to normal function,
- Improved gait pattern,
- Improved well being,
- Reduction of frustration for dogs on cage rest,
- Low impact exercise.
Conditions that benefit from hydrotherapy:
- Hip / Elbow dysplasia,
- Cruciate ligament injuries (& post op recovery),
- Orthopaedic conditions,
- Recovery from trauma and fractures,
- Spinal injuries,
- Luxating Patella,
- Neurological conditions eg. CDRM and Intervertebral Disc Disease,
- Obesity – help with weight control and to regain fitness.